Despite knowing the importance of updates in our Mac, why would someone want to disable macOS auto-updates? Reasons might differ from getting interrupted in the middle of some work to have all the data speed utilized at the backend when you need it the most. Whatever it is, it has been often noticed that people disable the auto-download functionality. If you too wish to turn off auto-updates on Mac, here’s a handy sharing how to get it done in simple steps.
How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates on Mac
- In your Menu bar, click on the Apple logo and select System Preferences.
- Now, click on Software Update and tick the checkbox stating, “Automatically keep my Mac up to date.”
- After finding the file, if you’re going to install Mac OS X El Capitan on your Mac, take a backup of your personal files and folders. Once you’ve that, simply head to the installation and no need to worry more. This is the direct link of the Mac OS X El Capitan DMG file.
- Oct 02, 2015.
Now, in case you wish to disable the same. Follow the same procedure mentioned above and uncheck the checkbox, and you will have to update your macOS manually.
Turn ON or OFF Automatic App Updates for Mac
Dec 08, 2015.
- Open the App Store from your Mac Dock.
- Now, Click on App Store available in Menu bar and choose Preferences.
- Tick on the checkbox mentioning Automatic Updates.
Now, to disable the automatic updates on your macOS, you can directly un-tick the checkbox.
Os X El Capitan 10.12
You can also automatically download purchased apps to other devices signed in with your Apple ID. Just tick on the checkbox, and the apps will automatically be downloaded to other devices using the same ID.
In your Mac, you can click on the checkbox saying Video Autoplay, which will eventually play app preview videos with the sound off on your device. And also allows the developers & other users to know about your review of the app.
There might be times when you would love these automatic macOS updates, but these software updates might annoy you as well. Just in case you wish to stop these updates, here is another method from our side to help you disable them!
Open the Terminal Command box from Mac’s Spotlight search to copy/type the command mentioned below and press the Enter key.
Download El Capitan Without App Store
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate AutomaticDownload -boolean FALSE
The above-provided command will disable the software update if it’s currently switched to Automatically keep my Mac up to date.
I hope all of your questions regarding enabling or disabling automatic updates in your macOS have been answered. If you still have some queries regarding the same, do get back to us in the comment section below!
Can T Update To Mac Os X El Capitan To 10.2
Mac Os X 10.11 El Capitan Update
In the meantime, keep reading and stay techie! We will keep you indulged with our interesting tech articles!
Contents you may like to Read:
I'm a technical writer who is interested in understanding consumer difficulties and find easy solutions. At iGeeksBlog, I enjoy making how-to and troubleshooting guides that help people do more on their iPhone, iPad. In my spare time, I enjoy listening to music and going to my favorite spots.
- https://www.igeeksblog.com/author/ria-sharma/How to Use Markup to Edit Screenshots on iPhone and iPad
- https://www.igeeksblog.com/author/ria-sharma/How to Use Launchpad on Your Mac: A Beginner's Guide